Sunday, April 11, 2010
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Last weekend we had my family over for Easter dinner. I served the traditional ham with the plan for leftovers. Three diced-up containers of delicious baked ham went in the freezer for soup and scalloped potatoes. As the weather is quickly becoming too warm for a dish that needs over an hour and half of oven time; I made the potatoes for dinner yesterday. This is the scalloped potato recipe from my trusty old Betty Crocker cookbook; with ham added.
2 pounds potatoes-about 6 medium
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
1 small onion-finely chopped
2 cups diced ham
1 tbsp butter
1. Peel and thinly slice potatoes to measure approx. 4 cups.
2. Heat 3 tbsp. butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly.
3. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling and boil one minute. Stir constantly.
4. Arrange potatoes in three layers in greased 2 qt casserole. Top each of the first two layers with half the onion , 1 cup of diced ham, and 1/3 of the white sauce. Top with remaining potatoes and white sauce. Dot with 1 tbsp of butter.
5. Cover and bake in 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake uncovered for another 65 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let set 5-10 minutes before serving.