Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Power of the first Garden Tomato


Sometimes one great ingredient can inspire an entire meal. I harvested the first tomato from my plant-in-a-pot yesterday and, of course, needed a worthy use of the gorgeous little guy. They do taste particularly good sliced over a grilled hamburger. Sweet corn is in full season now, so one side was decided. I also remembered I hadn't made creamy cucumber salad yet this year.
A classic summer dinner.

Creamy Cucumber Salad

1 cucumber-peeled and sliced
1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing-I used a combination of the two
1/2 small onion sliced-white, yellow or red is fine
1/2 tsp dried dill-I am sure fresh would be fabulous
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

Mix all and allow to set in refrigerator for a least one hour. I usually stir or shake the container at least once during the setting process to assure the flavors meld together.

No comments:

Post a Comment