Sunday, September 26, 2010

Meatloaf and Butternut Squash


This time of the year you don't have to look far to find someone with a garden overflowing with squash. A patient brought in a bunch of butternut squash and I grabbed one of the smaller ones for the two of us. One of my coworkers mentioned serving hers with meatloaf and that sounded like a perfect fall meal.



Squash is so easy to prepare and baked in the oven along with the meatloaf. I cut it in half the long way and scooped out the seeds and stringy stuff. I rubbed the meat of the squash with olive oil so it didn't dry out, sprinkled it with kosher salt and put it in a casserole dish with a little water. It baked in the oven covered at 400 degrees for a little over an hour. It was falling-apart tender and very easy to scoop out of the shell. I then mixed in butter and brown sugar. Very tasty.



My meatloaf tends to look like giant meatball instead of a loaf. But I don't think that's a bad thing; it stays juicy and doesn't dry out that way.
My recipe is very basic.

Meatloaf

1 pound of hamburger-I use lean
2-3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
About 1/3 cup of bread crumbs-I used seasoned
1 egg
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
Fresh ground pepper and kosher salt to taste

Mix well with hands and form into a loaf (or a ball :) ) and place in a loaf pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.

I think ketchup is delicious on meatloaf. It was a very good meal.

1 comment:

  1. I made an acorn squash tonight with my pork roast. It turned out pretty decent, but not as good as what I'm used to getting from Mom. I might try a butternut next time.

    ReplyDelete