Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sloppy Joes



These are a great potluck food, Super Bowl munchy, or easy dinner. I bought them to work last Friday for the main dish to our potluck and made a little extra so I could serve it tonight at home. They are at their absolute best in a crock pot, slowly simmering and making everyone hungry when you lift the cover to stir it. I reheated my leftovers in a sauce pan and it still smelled wonderful and made me hungry.  
I also think dill pickles made a great addition. :-)

Source: Best of Byerlys Cookbook

 Ingredients:

3 pounds Ground Beef
3 cups Chopped Onion
4 cups Chopped Celery
2 cups Chopped Red Bell Pepper (or Green if you prefer)
1 (32 ounce) Bottle Ketchup
1 (12 ounce) Can Tomato Paste
1 (1.25 ounce) Package Chili Seasoning Mix
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 ½ tsp Sugar
½ tsp Pepper
¼ tsp Liquid Smoke

Directions


Brown beef in large kettle or Dutch oven; drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients; simmer 2 hours.

Serve warm on hamburger buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment