Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chili Rubbed Pork chops



I have experimented with this recipe a couple times now. I love the concept of a spicy rub on a pork chop. The first time I made it; I didn't use a lot of spice rub and it tasted like a pan fried pork chop. Which isn't a bad thing, of course, but we couldn't taste much chili rub. This time I doubled the rub. My plan was also to allow the rub to sit on the pork for a couple hours to hopefully incorporate more flavor; but my work schedule prevented me from getting home in time to make that happen.
There was certainly more flavor this time, but we agree we want to try grilling them next time as opposed to frying in the cast iron.
I served them with the Black Bean and Corn Salad that I blogged about recently and it made a good combination. I added a jalapeƱo pepper from the Farmer's Market stash to the salad so it was a bit spicier than before.

Adapted from Food Network



Ingredients:


2 large Onions
⅓ cup hot Chili Powder
Kosher Salt
½ tsp Dried Oregano
½ tsp Ground Cumin
¼ tsp Ground Cloves
2 cloves Garlic, smashed
8 Thin-Cut Boneless Pork Chops (About 2 Pounds Total), trimmed
Vegetable Oil, for the cast iron pan

Directions:

Roughly chop ½ onion and garlic and place in a blender or chopper with the chili powder, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, the oregano, cumin and cloves. Puree, adding about ⅓ cup water to make a thick paste.

Slice the remaining 1 ½ onions into thin rings and place in a bowl with the chili puree and pork; toss to coat.

Place vegetable oil a large cast-iron skillet or grill pan  and place over high heat. Place 4 pork chops in the skillet and surround with half of the onions. Cook until the pork starts to blacken on the outside and is cooked through. Repeat with the remaining pork chops and onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment