Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Brat Beer Cheese soup


Some of my favorite recipes are soup. They tend to be pretty easy and are often just as good reheated. We can enjoy the soup the day I make it and then have a great, quick lunch down the road.
I also happen to love chopping and soups are all about chopping and stirring. :-)

I used Wild Rice bratwurst we buy from a local meat market. They are so delicious; I love them grilled during the summer. I used a dark amber beer as that was all I had available. I think I need to go shopping.....

It went very well with Ciabatta bread. Of course soup and bread is such a great combination. 

Adapted from Midwest Living

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp Butter Or Margarine
1 medium Onion, finely chopped (½ cup)
1 medium Carrot, coarsely shredded (½ cup)
1 stalk Celery, chopped
3 large Shallots, chopped
1 14-ounce Can Vegetable Broth Or 1-¾ Cups Vegetable Stock
⅓ cup All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Milk, half-and-half or light cream - I used Half and Half
½ tsp Caraway Seeds, crushed
½ tsp Celery Seeds
¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
10 ounces Wisconsin Aged Cheddar Cheese Or Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
4 Cooked Smoked Bratwurst, halved lengthwise and sliced into bite sized pieces
1 12-ounce Can Beer Or 12-Ounce Bottle Ale

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, shallots and celery; reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring frequently, about 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion is very soft and golden.

2. Stir flour into the onion mixture and slowly add Vegetable broth, stirring to incorporate. Add the milk, caraway seeds, celery seeds and black pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Gradually stir in the cheese; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, just until cheese melts. Stir in the bratwurst and beer. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment